Forget rugby – it’s time for hockey varsity

It’s men’s and women’s hockey varsity on Wednesday

noad

This Wednesday, the Sports Park will play host to a rejigged Hockey Varsity event. One of Exeter’s three big Varsities, the match has previously been held on a weekend and has only involved the Men’s club. This year, for the first time, Hockey Varsity will include the Ladies 1s and will take place on a BUCS Wednesday.

After the resounding success of Rugby Varsity last week, the Uni has another opportunity to get one over an arch-rival on a Wednesday – the day where our pedigree as a sporting university is truly judged.

The Boys 1s will be taking on Loughborough, with both sides boasting multiple junior internationals. For Exeter, the headline acts will no doubt be England Under 21 striker Matt Richards, alongside marauding Irish Under 21 defender Mark Loughrey.

Tab Bachelor nominee and heartthrob Alex Robey will also be getting about and the stakes have never been higher for a Hockey Varsity game, either.

The fixture is a Knockout Quarter-Final against the holders of the title and a side everyone loves to hate. Loughborough don’t visit often and when they do, it isn’t usually a match worth missing.

The Ladies game is also a BUCS Quarter-Final, this time against Nottingham. One of the strongest Exeter Ladies sides in years will grace the field, with junior England internationals Meg Crowson, Kathryn Lane and Clare Poole appearing alongside Hannah Griffiths and Ella Jackson, both of whom have been capped for the Welsh Seniors.

Touted as having their best chance at bringing home the bacon in years, the girls need the masses behind them to kick start their knockout campaign in style, after an undefeated season in the BUCS South Prem. With most of the University’s Varsities dominated by men, this event provides a huge opportunity to get behind our University’s elite sportswomen.

Aside from the quality of the combatants, the TP Burger Van will be along in case you get the munchies, along with Subway, Red Bull, Young Ones giveaways and the much-loved Exeter Emeralds. It’s also the only on-campus Varsity, making it easily accessible for all and sundry.

Tickets available in the Forum this week, or on the door – 5 quid a pop. Find the boys and girls club together in the Forum every day this week.

Ladies BUCS Championship Quarter Final v Nottingham – push-back 3pm

Men’s BUCS Championship Quarter Final v Loughborough – push-back 5pm