Don’t kid yourself, hiding behind a Spotted page won’t change the world

There is so much more to be done

noad

It was just over a month ago that the Spotted: Sexism at Exeter University page was created.

With over 2000 members and a series of shocking and tragic stories from both males and females on campus, there was a sense that this was going to be something which took positive action against sexual harassment at Exeter and make change for the better.

There then followed a tidal wave of other Spotted groups, tackling all issues on the spectrum from homophobia and racism to ableism and classism. Exeter had found a platform and wasn’t afraid to use it.

But a month later and I feel like the effectiveness of such groups have started to die already. And with no great change to boast of.

Now before I go on, I would like to loudly say I’m not against campaigning for these issues in any way. My problem isn’t with any of the really worthwhile causes that want to raise awareness of the discrimination that goes on here.

My problem is that they don’t do enough.

Anyone can post anonymously to a Facebook group. And that is both their biggest asset and their biggest flaw.

While I can see how it would be really cathartic to share your story with a Spotted community, to receive the support and sympathy of others who have shared something similar and raise awareness of the problems going on right under our noses, is that enough to really change anything in the long run?

Recently, a society posted on one of the pages about an incident of sexism towards them in one of the clubs in town.

Shocked by this report, I approached them to ask if they wanted their story shared in order to name and shame the club who had been so horribly misogynistic towards them; it may not have undone the club’s treatment towards them, but it could have given them a small slice of justice.

However, the society refused this offer as they did not want to damage further relations with the club, who provide an important platform for them.

While I understand fully their concerns (the club in question are hardly The Tab’s biggest fans and it can be really annoying at times), I think this ultimately highlights the problem with the Spotted pages.

Though the society were more than happy to complain about discrimination on an anonymous group where there would be no consequences for their actions, when it came to taking a step which may actually tackle the problem head on, this crossed a line over which they were not willing to step.

However, if everyone takes this attitude, how will we ever actually do anything to change the widespread acts of discrimination which have clearly affected so many of us?

Though the Spotted pages have proved brilliant in providing a safe place to raise awareness of the issues, they do nothing to change them in the future.

I can see why it takes a whole new level of bravery to talk about suffering a personal act of discrimination without the safety of anonymity.

But it is going to take such acts of courage to get things changed for the better.

We need to show our faces and stand united.

Though sharing your story is a fantastic first step in the journey to exactly, it is only that- a first step.

More people need to step up and speak out; the numbers of both fellow sufferers and supporters are clearly there, but if everyone hides behind their computer screens then this great potential for change is wasted.

So before you post on a Spotted page, think to yourself for a second “What am I trying to achieve here?” If you want to do more than simply cleanse yourself of the story then be prepared to raise your voice when it’s need.

The Spotted pages have planted the seeds for change, but don’t think that just by posting on one that you’ve done enough to really make a difference.

There are people and groups everywhere who are actually in place to address these issues and effect change- they need you and your voice far more than a Facebook group does.

Do you want to affect a change with your story? Email [email protected] – we’ll do more for your cause than a Spotted page ever will.