Definitive proof that the University of Exeter is fantastic

A completely unbiased and well-balanced argument for why our lovely, hilly institution is the greatest university in the country, nay, the world

Regardless of whether Exeter was your first choice, second choice, or if you didn’t quite make your Oxbridge offer and found yourself here through clearing, you’re very lucky.

You’re very lucky to be able to commit at least three years of your life to quite possibly the best place on earth.

Regardless of our, quite frankly, excellent academic standing and rankings, there are countless other factors that make Exeter amazing, and  here are our pick of the best:

It’s very pretty

Let’s be honest, we have the best campus known to man. Students from other lowly universities have have to navigate miserable, grey concrete jungles every day when getting from lectures to seminars, and we are lucky enough to have our lush, green surroundings.

With the gardens around Reed Hall and the vastly underrated wood path between Forum Hill and Harrison building, how many students from other unis can say with utter conviction that their university grounds is a registered botanical garden? NONE (I think).

We might complain about the rolling hills, but the fact that every day on campus is a workout means that we don’t have to bother with a gym membership, and I think we can all agree that the entire student population of Exeter have fantastic legs.

Our small city has everything you could possibly need

I challenge you to think of a high street shop that can’t be found in town, and when you’re not feeling guilty spending your student loan on clothes and feel like being stalked by various birds of prey eyeing up your pasty, the picturesque Cathedral Green is just down the high street.

The Cathedral looking nice and stuff

For when you have no clean plates left and are too hungover to face washing anything up, there are essentially too many options to spend more of your ever-dwindling student loan on food.

Hubbox, Bill’s, a ridiculous amount of all-you-can-eat breakfast at Brody’s and enormous pizzas in baskets at Firehouse are just a few of the options that make you almost glad for the exercise the hills provide.

Cheap pizza and cheap wine and sangria. Literally all you need in life.

And all this in a neat little package that can be easily walked. Think of the money saved on bus fare and petrol that can instead be spent on food! Or even better…

There is a night out for everyone

Okay, so our city isn’t quite as glamorous as London, and not even as cosmopolitan as Bristol, but considering the small number of clubs, we don’t fare too badly.

underground venue Cavern

Between them, student favourites Arena, Timepiece and Mosaic hold at least one student night every night of the week.

And for those who aren’t of the Top 40 or “cheesy” persuasion, there’s the ever-growing collection of house, electronic and dance event companies holding club nights for the man bun, high waisted shorts and unironic hair scrunchie types out there.

And lest we forget the Lemmy…the glorious school disco that you can’t deny is really quite good fun once in a while.

It looks better at night, honest

If clubbing isn’t your scene, there are all kinds of other places to get boozy in calmer surroundings.

From sipping cocktails at Monkey Suit to a pint or two (or three) at the Impy or The Vic, you literally have no excuse to stay in and not take advantage of the only time in your life when you can drink from noon till night on a weekday and not be considered an alcoholic.

We also have arguably some of the best drunk food available in the country 

Our cozy student bubble

Whilst we don’t have a huge amount amount of students, we definitely have enough to be able to see new (single) people every time we go out and have some hope of avoiding that person you pulled in Arena that one time and they’re not quite as good looking in the harsh light of day…

However, it’s still definitely small enough to be guaranteed to see at least 3 people you know every time you’re on campus.

There is also the comfort of knowing that even when you inevitably lose your friends in the massive square footage of the Arena dancefloor, you will absolutely still see four people from various seminars and seven people you used to live with in halls.

scantily-clad talent in Exeter

As for the students themselves, it’s fairly common knowledge that Exeter students are, as a collective, very fit.

When this is taken with events such the Safer Sex Ball, which in itself has made Exeter pretty famous, it becomes pretty clear we’re in good company here.

if you need us, we’ll be down the pub

So, to recap: we have great food, affordable booze and at least four decent clubs all a stones throw away from a beautiful, famous (David Tennant did film Broadchurch in the Forum after all!) campus consistently ranked within the top 10 unis in the country.

And all of this is shared with a boozy student population with great legs and who like to spend more time than most in their underwear.

Aren’t you glad you missed your offer from Oxbridge?