Tablature Volume 7: Mahatma Music

What’s going down at Cavern tonight? Find out here

If you love Kasabian as much as you love Julio Bashmore, this could just be the perfect evening for you.

Coming together in the winter months of 2013, Mahatma Music was conceived by a group of promoters, DJs and music-lovers who looked for a new, alternative student night, combining the excitement of live bands with floor-filling dance music and a buzzing atmosphere.

With four dates planned for the upcoming autumn term, Mahatma aims to build on Exeter’s growing nightlife and music scene (in other words, attempt to fill the gaping void left by Cellar Door’s demise).

Starting small, yet with sky high aspirations, Mahatma will be kicking off with upcoming bands and fresh talent from the UK scene and beyond, across a wide range of genres – from pop to alt-rock, house to dub/jungle.

Mahatma will launch at Exeter’s historic Cavern, a venue well established as the city’s longest running venue and premier location for live music, having played host to some of the industry’s biggest names over the past twenty years, with  acts such as Muse, The Kaiser Chiefs and Coldplay having cut their teeth on the Cavern stage.

Each night will be headlined by a live act (approximately 10-11pm,) followed by sets from resident DJs.

Live events will be supported by the launch of their online channel, Mahatma TV, curated by their staff and featuring their pick of breaking music and mixes from their DJs.

Up to date information can be found across social media streams, as well as on their website.

Creator and resident; Theon Bower

Mahatma will launch at The Cavern tonight – with headliners Heyrocco and support from South-West indie outfit Brooklyn.

Heyrocco are a young indie-rock band hailing from South Carolina, USA combining elements of traditional blues-based rock & roll with pop-inspired songwriting who will no doubt bring an energetic live show to Exeter as one of the first dates on their autumn UK tour.

Support will be provided by Devon-based indie-pop band Brooklyn, who have only just played their first live show at Bestival a few days ago as part of the highly regarded BBC Introducing-curated lineup.

Resident #2; Doodles

DJs will follow from 11pm, with Exeter newcomer Theon Bower and veteran Our House and Dirty Beat resident Doodles taking to the decks, armed with the latest in Garage, House and UK Bass.

Price: £5 from reps or online (plus £0.50 booking fee).

Mahatma’s Page