Former Exeter postman found guilty of founding global fraud organisation

Exeter’s Crown Court finds Shaker Javaid guilty of money laundering and fraud

Exeter Crown Court the tab the tab exeter

Following a complex investigation, Devon and Cornwall Police recently uncovered an Exeter resident’s worldwide scheme for online fraud and blackmail.

From his 172 victims, Shaker Javaid, 32, a former postman, laundered almost £1 million over a two-year period through an apparent claims-handling business.

Shaker Javaid, found guilty of money laundering and fraud

Having recruited a former colleague, Alex Stocks, to generate further fraud-based income, police caught Javaid after a foreign Exeter student paid a £300 deposit for a non-existent Southernhay flat.

Among his other victims, ranging from Chinese to African citizens, Javaid tricked a German woman into sending inappropriate images of herself, which were then used to extort £30,000 from her.

In Exeter’s Crown Court, whilst sentencing Javaid and Stocks, the Judge said: “This case first came to the attention of the police in Exeter and in consequence of a detailed and effective investigation.”

Devon and Cornwall Police

“I know the team [Devon and Cornwall Police’s Financial Investigation Unit] has worked extremely hard. This was a case which all started from a £300 deposit for a flat above an office in Exeter.”

Due to his “lesser role” in the illegal operation, Judge Erik Solomonsen jailed Stocks for two and a half years. Javaid, meanwhile, previously an Albert Street resident, was sentenced to a total of seven years.