Rock Climbing in the River Exe?!

A giant rock climbing wall is set to be built over the River Exe for an international competition.

Deep Water Solo Climbing Competition exeter quay rock climbing the river Exe the tab the tab exeter

This summer Exeter is set to host the UK’s first ever Deep Water Solo Climbing Competition.

The elite of the climbing community will flock to Exeter for the competition due to take place 30th and 31st August.

The competition will be held at the Quay. A giant climbing wall will be constructed over the canal basin of River Exe which spectators can view from the open area of the Piazza Terracina.

What the wall will look like

Neil Gresham, one of the UK’s leading climbers and once called the ‘real life Spider Man’, said: “This event is one of the most exciting things to happen on the UK climbing scene in years. Deep Water Solo climbing is one of the most visual and free forms of climbing you can experience.  I can’t wait for my chance to go  head to head with Britain’s best climbers!”

The competitors have to maneuver their way up and across the holds on the wall without the aid of ropes. When they can no longer climb they must fall back and plunge into the icy waters of the River Exe.

The event is predicted to attract hundreds of spectators and National and International sports media coverage.

There will be an elite category but also an open category: perfect if you fancy unleashing your inner Spiderman!