Review: Casa Maroc

Like good food, sitting on the floor and saving money? Jess Rayner and Jack Banister may have found the place of your dreams!

casa maroc casa maroc exeter casablanca lounge moroccan moroccan food exeter places to eat in exeter review student discount

Looking for an eatery that’s offering more than your bog-standard pasta dishes, an atmospheric décor and a pretty generous student discount? Then look no further than Casa Maroc! Situated on Bartholomew Street, it’s Exeter’s answer to good Mediterrean food and somewhere where sitting on the floor for dinner is totally encouraged!

When we first walked in, the first thing that hits you is how cool it looks inside. Not only is it atmospherically lit (ideal for you romantics out there!) but the whole place is decked out with ceiling hangings, traditional Morrocan lamps and more terracotta than you can shake a stick at. It’s pretty cool and almost takes you feel like you’ve gone on a Mediterranean mini-break!

Unleash your inner hedonist!

Rob, the owner and super friendly guy, gave us a quick tour of the restaurant and then given the option of where to eat, we jumped at the chance to sit in one of the lounges. Full of cushions and drapes, it’s the perfect size for a group of friends or even a double date and it enhances the entire eating experience!

The menu (which has recently been updated by resident chef and massive foodie Mike), is varied and full to the brim with dishes both exotic and familiar. If you’re not one for trying something new or you’re just a creature of habit, there’s plenty of tasty pizza and pasta options to keep you satisfied.

Turkish Mint Tea – what every meal should end with

Another huge plus is that Casa Maroc caters perfectly for the Gluten Free brigade. It’s usually a pain in the butt to find food that’s easy to eat and guaranteed to be gluten-free or vegetarian. At Casa, the chef and waiters were all over the whole thing, partly because the chef himself is coeliac.  Jack, a gluten free guy, had a Pizza, which was perfectly cooked and piled high with toppings. He said, ‘I could’ve gone for several other dishes happily, and on that front, it was a nice novelty to have some choice!’

Jess opted for the lamb tangine (and not just because it came in this awesome dish!). The meat was tender and the portion size was super generous so it could easily feed two!

The tangines are perfect for two to share

For dessert, Jack chose the Greek Yoghurt which was topped with nuts and fruit and Jess caved and went for the orange and chocolate fennel cake, a strange sounding option but it was actually really tasty!

We finished off our meal with a pot of Turkish mint tea and then we were given a mini tour of the Casablanca Lounge, a function and party room under the restaurant that is FREE to hire! A perfect place for an alternative social or birthday party. The room is also dressed to the nines in drapes and lamps that you kind of feel like you’re in a palace or temple!

Unfortunately, you cant take the lamps home with you

On top of all this, students get 25% off their food bill with a valid student I.D and 20% off drinks too! We were pretty impressed with this as most places only give you 10% off.

All in all, we had a great meal and were already planning our next visit by the time we said our goodbyes to the staff.