Demons ready for final game playoff decider

Lewis Phillips gives the low-down on how the Demons can make BUCS Plate Playoffs

American american football Demons Exeter exeter demons football Gladiators Gloucester Gloucester Gladiators Playoffs tab TheTab

The Exeter Demon’s couldn’t have started the year any better after bringing back the Devon Bowl trophy vs. Plymouth in November; then routing Bath Spa 68-6 a week later.

However, uncertain times lay ahead as a streak of losses to UWE (52-9), Bath (27-0) and a close one vs Swansea (48-40) left the Demons reeling with a record of 2-3 going into the Christmas break.

The Demons’ History-Making Start to the Season.

Determined not to miss an opportunity at the post season, the Demons, who were mathematically still in with a chance to visit the plate championship playoffs, silenced the naysayers who questioned their chances.

Down the stretch after a lengthy break, they proved that there was no Christmas holiday rust and the Green Machine was still a well-oiled one as they came out firing on all cylinders to shut out Aberystwyth 33-0 on a cold and muddy afternoon at Duckes Meadows.

Ollie Tribe Plucks a Finlay Brown Pass out of the Sky for a Big Gain vs Aberystwyth.

Unfortunately, due to a BUCS mistake, the Demons were unable to play their fixture vs FXU Tridents as technically they are a part of Exeter Uni, giving the Demons an extra week to prepare for their final game vs. the Gloucester Gladiators.

The Demons narrowly defeated the Gladiators last year (8-0) in what was quickly nicknamed ‘The MudBowl.’

This year, the stakes are higher as the winner of this match solidifies their place as the #4 seed in the SWAC (South West Atlantic Conference) and a place in the Plate Championship Playoffs to play Leeds Carnegie in the first round.

Last Years “MudBowl” Victory Over the Gladiators

For the Demons, this will be their final fixture of the regular season. For the Gladiators, who have a back-log of postponed games (no thanks to the wicked weather in the South West), they will be playing both the Bath Spa Bulldogs (Wednesday) and the Swansea Titans (Friday).

On Sunday, they will then travel to Exeter – all this after their away fixture to UWE the previous weekend.

Whilst this game is scheduled to be played at the rubber crumb on Streatham Campus, it is unfortunately not a varsity event.

However, club President Ollie Tribe said: “It is a great opportunity for friends, family, and anyone with a free Sunday afternoon to come and watch a competitive game, in a sport that they may not have experienced before.”

This do-or-die fixture is set to be packed full of big plays, hard hits, controversy and one very happy team going to the playoffs.

Kick-off is at 12pm Sunday 23rd February at the rubber crumb, Streatham Campus.