Reviewed: Las Iguanas

The Tab reviews Las Iguanas, one of the latest additions to Exeter’s high-street

Exeter las iguanas mexican food restaurant the tab the tab exeter

Finally, a new restaurant in Exeter that isn’t an Italian chain. An all-round sigh of relief is heard from Exeter’s fajita fanatics as Las Iguanas, the best chain in Mexican and Brazilian cuisine, opens up to replace the former Pitcher and Piano on Queen’s Street.

On arrival, the restaurant was busy and loud, only adding to the hectic – yet authentic – Mexican vibe. However, having booked in advance, our table at 9.30pm was still not ready.

Waiting at the bar, it was nice to soak up the busy atmosphere, the funky décor and browse the extensive menu.

Our tantalizing starters – bottle of red optional

However, to The Tab’s dismay, their extensive menu was not quite so extensive: our first choice, ‘The Extraordinary XinXim’ (a Brazilian crayfish and lime chicken dish), was not available.

Opting for duck wraps and calamari to start, though, Las Iguanas did not disappoint. Our tasty starters soon rectified the evenings first few hiccups.

It was enjoyable, at least, until the fire alarm went off, not once – but twice.

Something to take our minds off the fire alarms

Naturally, our waitress was friendly and apologetic for the fire alarm, and for the food delay between starters and main courses.

Having ordered a substitute Brazilian dish for the main course, The Bahia Moqueca (a prawn and white fish coconut curry), and Churrasco Fiasco (chilli chicken skewers),we’d not gone for the traditional Burrito route as expected as Las Iguanas.

The Tab recommends you to deviate, though; both dishes were delicious and definitely worth the wait.

Churrasco Fiasco – a forewarning to the fire fiasco

Overall, The Tab give Las Iguanas three stars out of five. It has friendly staff, great food, a lively atmosphere and good value for money.

However, along with a very sensitive fire alarm (which could be seen as a good thing, to be fair), it also has slow service and slow disorganisation.

The Tab recommends visiting this restaurant when you have plenty of time and good company to occupy you whilst you wait. It’s definitely worth it – but not if you’re starving!

Wipe that drool from your chin – the Brazilian take on curry