Pimp my library

Exeter Central Library set for more than a lick of paint

Exeter Central Library Exeter Library library the tab the tab exeter

Exciting news for all you book worms out there: the 50-year-old Exeter Central Library is due for a whopping £4.2 million make-over (please, contain your excitement).

In a bid to bring the library into the 21st Century, Exeter Council are splashing out on some major improvements.

New additions include a café, an information hub, a training kitchen for adults with learning disabilities, a teen space and a ‘Fab-Lab’ which contains cutting edge technology such as 3D printers.

To make way for the new, some old features have been sold off, including the Steinway Piano, which fetched £3,000 – money now being used to fund a modern artwork called ‘Stack of Books’ designed by Taunton resident Will Shakespeare. (It’s almost too ironic to be true, isn’t it?)

Whoever created this obviously got their G.C.S.E in I.C.T

County council leader John Hart is hugely impressed by the transformation and said “I think this is a fantastic resource for the people of Exeter and Devon and brings the library into the 21st century.

“It has been a very good investment and I am sure the people will appreciate it.”

So highlight May 22nd in your diary, make a Facebook event and mentally prepare yourself because that’s when the opening of the new and improved Exeter Central Library is set to go down.

However, for all you keen beans out there, you’ll have to contain your excitement for a little longer as a £5,000 ‘official opening’ is in the pipeline for June.