Thick as Thieves announce summer festival plans

Student dance music connoisseurs creep out of the Cellar

It started with a quiet walk down the Quay.

Since then, it’s produced a multitude of successful club nights, a liberal sprinkling of boat parties and a Phoenix takeover.

Now, Thick as Thieves are stepping out of the shadows and putting down a marker – they’ve announced their first festival.

Thick as Thieves recently celebrated their second birthday

On the 29th May, the nightlife titans are set to host Hijacked Festival – the biggest event of their history, with 2,000 punters across three stages at an as-yet secret location somewhere in Devon.

TaT have booked acts such as Waze & Odyssey, Shadow Child and Paleman

Speaking exclusively to The TabTaT founders Harry Horsfall and Laurence Mulchrone said: “over the course of the last two years, Thick as Thieves HQ have been lucky enough to bring down some of the most exciting names in UK dance music and culture to Exeter.

As well as bringing in up-and-coming names in dance music, Thick as Thieves has helped student DJs hone their skills 

“Our ability to do this is borne out of the unmitigated loyalty and support from an ever increasing group of people who identify with the ethos that our parties are built on.

“In short, the Thief crew themselves facilitate our success by showing up to enjoy something a little different on a regular basis.

In June 2013, the Thieves hosted their biggest event yet at the 700-person venue

“In a progression that started with club nights, and moved quickly to boat parties, festival circuit tours, and large-scale multi-room shows, an all-day outdoor event is the next logical step. The capacity allows us to book multiple acts that would otherwise never appear in Exeter, apart from perhaps on singularly billed shows.

“Having DJ/Producer names that are truly at the forefront of the scene on our booking roster has been one of the key motivations for Hijacked 2014.

“Alongside these acts, we are delighted to offer our talented and committed resident DJs opportunities for supporting sets that see their names alongside some of the biggest in the industry.

The student-run club night regularly sells out the Cellar Door, which reopened in 2011 

“With the wide range of skills and people required for an event of this nature, TaT is also extremely happy to be offering paid work to many Exeter University students in producing this event.

So far, the Thieves have hosted four boat parties on the coast off Exmouth. Hijacked Festival is set to be their biggest undertaking yet 

“As electronic music has gained such inertia in popular culture over the last few years, dance music festivals have become more and more widespread. What competitors cannot always offer, we feel, is a venue as idyllic as that of Hijacked, with a changing beautiful location every year.

“Further, such a close knit community of Thieves will no doubt mean an instantaneous festival community feel from the time gates open until the end of the final track played.”

Our House and Beats and Bass society will collaborate with Thick as Thieves on the event.

More details are set to be revealed at the launch party at Cellar Door on the 11th February – the same date that early bird tickets are released. Check The Tab for the latest updates.