Exeter Lecturers Take Strike Action Over Pay

Exeter University lecturers take part in nationwide strike action against declining rates of pay

Students will face timetable confusion tomorrow as 20% of staff strike against low pay.

Staff who are members of the higher education trade unions UCU, UNISON, Unite and EIS are part of a nationwide industrial action, responding to a 13% cut in pay since 2008.

Whilst the average pay and pensions package for vice-chancellors is around £250,000, other university workers have only been offered a 1% increase in their pay by the University Employers Association.

A previous strike took place on 31st October

The Guild said: “We are aware that this action could cause more disruption than the last strike and the Students’ Guild has raised this with the University as a matter of urgency to ensure that assessments and contact time is not significantly affected.”

Lecturers have sent emails out to those affected by the strike, explaining the situation and making content that would have been studied on the day available to students.

The staff taking part in the strike will be docked one days’ pay, with the money being donated to the student hardship fund

Dr Martin Pitts, from the Classics and Ancient History Department, said: “The strike is on behalf of all university workers from porters and cleaners on little more than £7 per hour up to the grade of Associate Professor, but not including the highest paid workers. We strike not because our case is exceptional but because it is part of greatly increasing inequality across the UK.

“There may be future strikes if the employers are not able to reach a compromise with the Unions.”