Cricket video game starring EUMCC cancelled

Having already been delayed by several months, Ashes Cricket 2013 has been abandoned entirely.

505 Games EUMCC the tab the tab exeter

A video game which featured Exeter Uni cricket club has been pulled from the shelves after it was branded “the worst game ever made”.

After a successful voting campaign last year, the game was scheduled to feature an all-star EUMCC XI as special guests.

Coinciding with the back-to-back Ashes series, 505 Games were hoping to provide a gaming alternative to Stick Cricket or Brian Lara Cricket 2005.

Instead, to the dismay of EUMCC members, the game has been pulled from the shelves after it was received by gamers as “shameful,” “embarrassing” and “farcical.”

In the game, EUMCC had a better bowling attack than England’s.

Andrew Curtis, EUMCC Club Captain, commented on the “many hours were devoted by EUMCC members persuading Exeter’s students to vote for us to feature on the game and for that then not to be justified is a real disappointment.”

Since the game’s release in November, bizarre gameplay footage has emerged, depicting a scene more reminiscent of an EUMCC social than a Test match.

At one point, the fielders begin to leap around in a confusion of overthrows and misfields, diving and even running through each other as the batsmen saunter back for a fourth run.

Gameplay footage. Click on image for YouTube video.

505 Games and the ECB have issued apologies and offered refunds, but the reality for Exeter’s cricketers is that they came so close to gaming stardom.

At the time of finding out they were featuring on the game, 1st XI Captain Joe Barrs said: “This competition has completely mobilised the university.

“Winning it was the only way we could thank everyone that supported us. This is a win for the university, not just the cricket club.”

Watch the moment EUMCC discovered they were appearing in Ashes Cricket 2013 below: