Exeter scientists toy with opinions on war

Exeter University social scientists examine how toys shape our opinions on war

Social scientists from Exeter University are examining the role that toys play in the shaping of children’s opinions of war and British attitudes to the armed forces.

Researchers from the Universities of Exeter, Portsmouth and Royal Holloway will be focusing on how Her Majesty’s Armed Forces (HMAF) dolls affect our attitudes to British armed forces and the ideas children receive from sources such as television footage and films about war.

The most popular doll is a ten-inch high infantry soldier in desert combats, with assault rifle, radio, flak jacket, body armour, helmet and googles.

They expect to report their findings in 2016 after the expected withdrawal of British troops from Afghanistan.

Dr Woodyer, from the University of Portsmouth, said: “Play has frequently been overlooked as irrelevant to how people come to understand the world, yet toys, and how children play with them, are not just a response to the world, they help shape our culture.

“The war on terror is being played out everywhere and since 9/11, our security and surveillance has come under intense examination. Understanding war, conflict and security in modern life is an urgent task for social scientists.”