EDL March Route Released

Police release details of EDL march route

EDL EDL Exeter the tab the tab exeter

Devon and Cornwall police have revealed the route of the EDL march scheduled to take place on Saturday 16th November.

Supporters will gather outside the Duke of York on Sidwell Street to begin marching at midday.

The route will head down the High Street, turn onto Queen Street, and finish beside the War Memorial in Northernhay Gardens at 1:30pm.

The group has been approached by a Muslim woman asking if she can attend the march, and they hope to “provide some protection to facilitate her attending.”

New chairman, Tim Ablitt, claims to want more Muslims in the group. He said: “We definitely want to get more Muslims in the EDL.”

“Yes, there will be some resistance but we had the same with Sikhs and Hindus and Asians when they started joining. Now they are a growing part of the membership.

“Our message is that we will not tolerate extremist Islam and we want to open up to everyone. It’s not Muslims who are the problem, it’s the book they follow.”

Hundreds of people are expected to attend the march, with police advising that large sections of the city centre will be affected by congestion between 11am and 2pm.

A police spokesman said: “We respect the right to peaceful protest. But if people overstep the mark, we will deal with them accordingly and robustly.”