Hidden Exeter: Southernhay House Cocktail Bar

If you’re looking for somewhere new to try out, Southernhay House Cocktail Bar might be just up your street.

bar coctail hidden exeter nightlife southernhay Southernhay House the tab the tab exeter

Everyone loves cocktails – or at least they pretend to do so since they saw Luhrmann’s Gatsby.

If Monkey Suit and 44 Below are getting a little too mainstream for you, you might want to consider branching out into Exeter’s other fine drinking establishments.

Thankfully, you won’t have to risk the King Billy to liven things up.

Isn’t it pretty-looking?

Located just behind the cathedral and Princesshay, amidst an abundance of accountants and lawyers (and a dodgy underground car park, but we’ll forget about that bit,) sits Southernhay House hotel.

Those of you hoping for a Gatsby-meets-Made-In-Chelsea-fantasy will no doubt be very much at home in this Grade II listed delight.

Taking a left as you walk through the door leads you into the modern bar, where an extensive range of spirits await you.

Southernhay House: just a short walk beyond Exeter Cathedral.

The bar is significantly cosier than the classic student alternatives (estate agent talk for ‘a bit on the small side’), but getting a seat really won’t be hard.

There is also a beautiful terrace, which will be delightful in the summer – assuming the summer isn’t rained off, of course.

The atmosphere was a little quiet, but that makes it a good escape from the likes of Monkey Suit.

Southernhay brings something different to the Exeter cocktail market.

The menu is classical, filled with a delightful range of cocktails (I opted for a traditional Sidecar), at surprisingly reasonable prices, generally around £6.50.

There is a good variety, and the generous measures (i.e. more alcohol) are definitely a plus. The service is also quick and friendly.

Overall, this place is a great find, and definitely has the potential to become a favourite hotspot. Whether you’re looking for a romantic, post dinner trip, or somewhere to catch up on quality gossip, it’s definitely worth a try.

There’s a good variety of seating, either at the bar or in some cosy seats.

For more information, check out the website here and the drinks menu here.

Southernhay House all the way.