Fight Club: Exeter

EUABC’s inaugural Boxing Showcase comes to the Lemon Grove this Wednesday.

Boxing Boxing Exeter EUABC the tab the tab exeter

We may, at long last, have found the perfect use for the Lemmy.

Far from using it as a nightclub, a purpose for which it is arguably not fit, it may prove the ideal home for Exeter’s booming boxing scene.

The Lem-GM Grand?

Obviously, Madison Square Garden it is not.

This Wednesday, however, it will be playing host to the first event of its kind in the South West: Exeter Amateur Boxing Club’s Varsity – or Boxing Show, so as not to upset the AU.

It will feature nine bouts with fighters of varying levels of experience, from Club Captain Richie Goulding fighting in his fourteenth bout, to a catalogue of debutants.

Richie Goulding (top right) and the EUABC boys.

For the casual boxing fan – or indeed the first-time observer – what you will see is a little different to what you might expect.

Unlike professional bouts, there will be no rigs on show, and the fights will consist of three or four two-minute rounds.

In addition, the headguards and different scoring system will mean that cagey, Mayweather-esque performances should be the evening’s notable absence.

As with any good sporting event, the booze should also be flowing freely.

For those who have not been before, the sight of two individuals knocking seven shades of shit out of each other in the ring, combined with widespread looseness on behalf of the crowd, creates a crackling, febrile atmosphere that sweeps up even the most hardened pacifist.

Tickets are £7.50 in advance and £10 on the door. Doors open at 7pm, with the first bout commencing at roughly 8pm. Tickets are selling out fast, so for any last minute info, take a look at the event page on Facebook.

Click on this image to see TabTV’s Boxing Showcase Preview.