Student Attacked After Refusing to Share his Lager

Plymouth student waiting outside Exeter Central beaten by vicious gang after refusing to share his lager

the tab the tab exeter

A student waiting to return to Plymouth was attacked by three men outside Exeter Central Station for refusing to share a case of duty free lager.

Joseph Gibbons, who was returning from a holiday in Amsterdam, was waiting for his girlfriend to drive up from Plymouth when he was approached by the gang.

After refusing to share the case of lager he had bought on his way home, two of the men stole the alcohol, as well as his satchel and mobile phone. Ellis Scott, 19, joined his friends in the attack but only drank the lager after they had fled with it.

Exeter Central Station

CCTV captured footage of the events, which was described by a woman working at the Angel as “frightening and brutal.”

The incident, which took place in October of last year, led to Scott admitting to causing actual bodily harm and receiving stolen goods. He was jailed for sixteen months, suspended for two years, and ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid community work.

Mr James Townsend, recorder, told Scott: ”Anyone looking at the CCTV would see this was a vicious and sustained attack on a defenseless man and the fact that you were not involved in the robbery only makes it slightly less serious.

“The attack made by that gang that night on a man on the floor was very, very serious. It is fortunate that the physical injury was not more serious but the psychological damage was obviously severe.”

Exeter Central Station