Beware of Killer Grannies

Never too cold for a hot flush, University of Exeter researchers have been given a huge grant to investigate why killer whales have a menopause.

| UPDATED the tab the tab exeter

Only three species go through the menopause: the pilot whale, the killer whale and, of course, us. Researchers at the University have been given a huge grant to investigate why killer whales have a menopause.

Female Killer whales spend about a third of their life unable to reproduce but still remain essential members of their pod (group of killer whales).

Along with Dr. Dan Franks of the University of York, the team will use 30 years’ worth of info. about two populations of over 550 killer whales. The data includes birth, death and social relationships.

They expect to find that the presence of a post reproductive female will increase the chances of survival for the children and grandchildren.

An artist’s impression of a granny whale

Dr. Darren Croft from the Psychology department at the University, and a lead investigator in the study, says “Killer whales have a very unusual social system whereby sons and daughters don’t disperse from their social group but instead live with their mother her entire life.

“As a female ages she shares more genes with group members, and theory predicts that older females can benefit more from helping their offspring and grand offspring than reproducing themselves.”

They hope that the research will also reveal more about menopause in humans. Let’s hear it for the Grannies!