Going Bananas in Blue

Jaz Sansoye checks out the alternative side to Exeter’s retail sector.

Blue Tattoo the tab the tab exeter

Blue Banana, at the end of Fore Street, is one of the biggest alternative hotspots in Exeter. If you’re looking to escape the Jack Wills lifestyle, it’s the place to be. Deciding upon a daith heart piercing, I reviewed my favourite shop in the city.

The staff are incredibly friendly. I’m on first-name terms with them because I’m a regular, but as soon as you step inside, you feel like you belong there and are welcome.

The shop

The waiting time for a piercing is about 20 minutes and tattoos have to be booked in advance. The upstairs floor of the shop is strictly for piercings and tattoos only.

The staff downstairs are more than happy to help with advice – be it on infected piercings, tattoos, clothes or items that are out of stock. Blue Banana offers a range of alternative clothing for both men and women as well as an extensive body piercing jewellery collection.

Just a peek of the items on offer at BB

My regular piercer, Carl, is really friendly makes you feel comfortable immediately. He’s always up for a bit of banter, and when I told him I was getting another one done he replied: ‘It’s you again! How’s it going, Jaz? I swear you were in here last week?’

Understandably nervous about the daith piercing, which goes through one of the thickest parts of ear cartilage, he made me feel at ease. Blue Banana caters to any medical conditions and, since I am prone to fainting, I was told to lie down and focus on my breathing.

Carl, popping his head out after a piercing

He completely took my mind off the pain by chatting and having a bit of a laugh. Although the pain was excruciating before he even put the jewellery in, I felt comfortable because of the brilliant hospitality.

I cannot recommend Blue Banana enough. They have a vast array of alternative items that keep you coming back from more.The staff are kind and more concerned about you as a person than as a customer. I’m often in there just for a catch up and a chat.

Both the piercing and tattoo studios are professional yet strangely comforting. Although you are staring pain in the face, you couldn’t feel more at ease.

I highly recommend this place for anyone and everyone who is fed up with Hollister and Jack Wills. It’s affordable, different and like nothing else in Exeter.