Taking the Piste…By Storm

Xander Seddon took some time out to meet some of Exeter Snowsports’ biggest cheeses…

competitions les deux alpes snowsports socials the tab the tab exeter trips val thorens

If I were to ask most people in Exeter which club they thought was the largest in the AU, I would probably hear a number of answers. Some might say rugby union; others lacrosse – or perhaps men’s football.

They would all, however, be wrong. Perhaps in-keeping with the way that they run things, Snowsports, on the quiet, had over 400 people to their launch social a few weeks ago, and run two trips to cater for a little over that number.

Speaking with club President and Vice-President Rob Fail and Rupert Arup over a crafty lunchtime pint in the Ram (where they can be found between 12-2 every Tuesday), I found out a little more about what the club has to offer.

A shooting gallery of rogues. Boozing on the slopes, what next!

Perhaps the most noteworthy aspect of Snowsports (for some) is the wonderful opportunities they have to offer those not of the fairer sex: this year, there are roughly 60 girls for every 40 blokes.

In the words of a previous trip goer, who prefers to remain unnamed, “If you’re trying to pull on a ski trip and can’t, you may as well come out of the closet now…”

Regarding the trips themselves, there is a little variation between the two they run every year.

The first trip in December to Les Deux Alpes tends to be more ski-oriented – although the town has a reputation of being a big party place, while the second, to Val Thorens, is reputedly just a massive piss-up.

Having said this, the committee were at pains to point out that you can get whatever you want from either trip. So if you are in the business of deleting yourself, the Christmas trip is as good as the Easter one for skiing.

Tickets are selling out fast, though, so today’s Tab Top Tip is to find them on Facebook, where you’ll find all the dates for socials, ticket releases and other, more obscure, types of admin.

Try that one after a Turbo Shandy or two…

But don’t get the impression that Snowsports is all about booze, blizzards and birds.

They also boast a successful competition team, whose natural rivalry with the other club in Exeter has regularly spurred the competitors to some impressive achievements over the past few years.

Even so, for those of a looser disposition, Social Sec. Alex Mancuso sets the standard for nights with the club. As the only single member of the committee, and a talented DJ, the socials are in good hands. 

Check out their welcome video to hear all this in their words.