The Tab’s Top Five Halloween Pranks

Get your own back on your housemates!

flatmate pranks halloween halloween pranks student pranks the tab the tab exeter

Amidst all the blood red shots, sweets, inventive student costumes and drinking games, there has to be a place for a few classic Halloween pranks.

Pull any one of these on an unsuspecting housemate and listen for the angry and terrified yelling. (Just don’t blame us if they don’t speak to you for a while!)

1. Surprise motherf**ker

Named for both its effectiveness and the screams it produces, this has become a favourite amongst certain Birks residents.

Simply lure one of your flatmates out of their room and proceed to place a conniving friend underneath their bed, potentially in a monster mask.

When they come back, wait fifteen minutes for the sense of security to descend, and then leap. Feel free to repeat with a pile of leaves or empty rubbish bins outside.

2. Tabasco and Vodka

One of our favourites: following a night out, potentially with a surplus of strawberry VKs (appropriate to the theme of Halloween), fill up a glass with vodka and place it next to your drunken victim.

Drop a bit of Tabasco or green chilli on their tongue, and watch them reconsider their life choices as they throw back the Chekov.

3. Tesco Trouble

If you’re wondering how to efficiently utilise those leftover Tesco boxes, we’ve found a way.

To correctly annoy everyone on one floor, take about a week’s worth of everyone’s deliveries (in our instance, over 20 boxes) and pile them up in a very organised and meticulously inconvenient fashion in the corridor, preferably up against everyone’s door.

And to top it off? Glasses filled to the brim with blood red wine on top.

4. UPP Big Brother?

An Exeter spin on a classic. Dip your finger in dish soap and write a message on your neighbour’s bathroom mirror. We quite enjoyed ‘UPP is watching you’.

The message will only show up when the mirror fogs up after their shower. Alternatively, write it in red (with wine, or cranberry juice) when they’re not in the room.

5. Bloody shower

Get some red food colouring and rub it on a flatmate’s showerhead, or just under the faucet. Watch them panic in confusion at the bloodbath they are partaking in.