The EDL Comes to Exeter

The EDL has announced it intends to stage a national demonstration next month in Exeter.

| UPDATED EDL English Defence League the tab the tab exeter

On Saturday 16th November, the English Defence League (EDL) has announced it intends to stage a national demonstration in Exeter.

In a statement released on the far-right organisation’s website, the EDL describes Exeter as “the home of a much darker side of Islam than the politicians, police and media would rather we did not talk about.”

The University of Exeter’s ties to the Middle East are cited as a primary reason for the city being chosen for the demonstration.

A previous EDL demonstration at a different location.

“Exeter, the home of Exeter University (sic),” the statement says. “The home of the European Muslim Research Centre, a centre devoted to the study of Islamophobia and combating the idea that ‘European Muslims, Islam and strict adherence to Islam poses a threat to the safety, cohesion and wellbeing of communities and countries in Europe.'”

University of Exeter’s relations with Sharjah ruler Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad al-Qasimi, who donated £5m in towards the construction of The Forum in 2009, are also highlighted as a motive for the demonstration.

The statement describes the university as “the chosen source of the favours of Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Muhammad al-Qasimi, the ruler of Sharjah – one of the most conservative emirates in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).”

Devon and Cornwall Police, according to Exeter Express & Echo, are fully aware of the EDL’s intentions for the day.