Calypso Cricket in the Caribbean

Last summer saw the EUMCC exchange the home comforts of Topsham Road for the slightly more exotic, sunny climes of Barbados. Read on for the full tour report.

Barbados BPL Cricket EUMCC Exeter the tab the tab exeter
A Rum Bunch

EUMCC: a rum-loving bunch.

Sitting in Timepiece last year with a bottle of wine, I was asked “are you coming on tour?” Having suffered the misery of failed internship applications, touring Barbados seemed a cracking alternative.

Before I knew it I was boarding a plane at Gatwick along with fifteen other members of the EUMCC, heading off to Barbados for 12 days of sun, sea, cricket, rum and fun.

The squad had immense cricketing potential. However, injuries (and alcohol) meant the cricket was always going to be a challenge. Alas our first game, a 20-over game under lights saw the Caribbean tactics of hitting the ball as far and as hard as you can somewhat overwhelmed us.

If there is grass on the wicket…

Other games we played were dotted around the country, playing at some of the most beautiful cricket grounds against some of the friendliest people.

Unfortunately, luck didn’t favour us as we found ourselves on the end of a string of narrow defeats.

Eventually, in our final game against the North Stars, our first victory sparked huge celebrations and a pretty heavy night out at one of Barbados’s most popular nightclubs, Harbour Lights.

Playing Yorkshire C.C. (not the more famous Northern county!).

Whilst not playing cricket, the EUMCC were able to enjoy some of the cultural attractions of the West Indies, most notably a tour of the Mount Gay Rum factory and the Kingston Oval cricket ground.

Bertie Broughton wondering where his next drink is coming from.

Naturally, some stories will remain behind the closed doors of the EUMCC. Just imagine Exeter University culture combined with their Bajan counterparts coupled with copious quantities of Rum; you’ll be some way to realising the outrageous events that took place!