Locals Lock Target on “Elitist” Lock-in

Claims that the Princesshay Lock-In is “elitist” has angered students.

Princesshay Shopping Centre Princesshay Student Lock-In the tab the tab exeter

Following the Student Lock In at Princesshay, locals have criticised the event by labelling it as elitist – and students have hit back by saying the comments are unfair.

The Lock In was attended by over 3,600 students from 6:30-9pm on Wednesday 2nd October with 30 stores and restaurants offering exceptional 25% discounts. As a result, local residents have said that they felt the event was elitist, exclusive and excluded them from the deals.

lock in

Thousands of students turned up to grab a bargain

Exeter has been a student city since 1855, and the University now has 17,200 undergraduates, many of whom contribute to local businesses by working for them.

Students have now had their say, stating that moving away from home is hard enough “without the residents of where we live and study being so hostile towards us” and that the locals seem to assume that “being a student is a walk in the park – it’s really not. There’s so much to worry about, especially money-related [issues],” which is precisely why the Lock-In was set up.

Store managers were more than pleased with the event, stating that “the Student Lock-In is a fantastic event; it’s one of the retail highlights of the year.”