The Tab Meets The Exeter Revue

The Tab met up with best friends newfound comedy duo, Oli Gilford and Edd Cornforth, to get the low-down on their exciting new comedy society: The Exeter Revue.

| UPDATED Edd Cornforth exclusive Oli Gilford The Edinburgh Fringe The Exeter Revue The Fringe the tab the tab exeter
ed and oli

Edd Cornforth (left) and Oli Gilford (right).

Maya: So, let’s start with a nice predictable question: why have you guys decided to create a comedy society in Exeter?

Oli: How about a nice predictable answer then?! There wasn’t really an outlet for comedic performance before we set this up. Other leading universities like Oxbridge and Durham have well-known revue societies who perform sketches and music, so why shouldn’t we?

Maya: And what is it that you’re both hoping to achieve through the society in terms of performances and workshops?

Edd: We perform several revue shows each term and we will be taking a ‘best of’ show to The Edinburgh Fringe next summer. Exeter have never taken a comedy to The Fringe so we’ll try not to f*****g well f*** it up.

Maya: I personally think sketch shows are just what is needed to brighten up the grey and soulless life of a student. I hope everyone appreciates an ironic quip now and again, but what kind of humour can the students of Exeter look forward to at your shows?

Edd: Not the kind that makes them leave instantly, we hope. Some of it will be surreal, some of it satirical and some of it just racist funny.

Edd and Oli at The Exeter Revue’s recent white t-shirt social.

Maya: Okay, this is all sounding great. So if I was a talented comedian craving some limelight, what could I expect from your society as a member and how would I go about joining?

Oli: The revue is really for anyone interested in drama and performance. It gives you the opportunity to get involved in something unique, as well as the chance to take a show to Edinburgh. You can join online at any time, which will impress your friends because we hear the internet is going to be big.

Maya: And finally, can you reveal the date of your launch performance to give us all some light at the end of the long term ahead of us?

Oli: The term is long and full of girth, but our first performance will be on the 3rd November in the M&D room. Look out for a special show during RAG Week because we are really nice guys who really like charity really a lot very much so.

Maya: Charitable comedians: the best kind of people! Thanks for meeting with us guys and I think I speak on behalf of all students with a decent sense of humour when I say we cannot wait to see your society up and running.

To get a taster of what’s in store from ‘The Exeter Revue’, check out their hilarious Freshers video:

And if you’re feeling extra generous, give their Facebook Page a little like.