Talking PearShaped

PearShaped, the latest night to emerge onto Exeter’s alternative scene, says Maya Mills.

Beats & Bass beats and bass Exeter PearShaped The Cavern the tab exeter

Sitting outside Costa over coffee, the guys behind the new music and culture collective PearShaped Exeter tell The Tab how the idea started outside Timepiece – only over something slightly stronger than coffee! 

In what can only be described as a drunken epiphany, the group of second year students realised that their nights in Exeter were seriously lacking with variety, due to the lack of advertising around the city of different venues and events to attend.

And so the adventure began… Colin Bugler, now in charge of PearShaped Exeter’s PR & social networking, told The Tab that that the idea behind the name was created purely through good old irony: Exeter’s nightlife is slightly – wait for it – pear-shaped!

PearShaped Exeter have tackled this problem head on, with an Upcoming Events tab which is packed with events of every music genre and venue, and you’re bound to find something that tickles your pickle for every night of the week.

In addition to this jam-packed website, the guys at PearShaped Exeter have taken this initiative one step further and organised their own events at The Cavern, with live music from everything to acoustic to electro swing to indie rock.

Their launch night, this Tuesday 1st October, is headlining some local acoustic sounds including Isaac Indiana, Ella Janes, and Lion the Weak.

Following these soft acoustics comes swinging sets from Francis Red and Moe Jatthews.

The site not only advertises pubs and clubs off the beaten track and events to check out, but also publishes reviews and interviews with artists playing in Exeter, such as Artwork, who recently stormed Beats & Bass’ first night at Cellar door last Tuesday.

PearShaped Exeter also told The Tab that they are hoping to collaborate with student societies soon, too, to list their events and publish articles on things that even as students, we might have missed out on.

If you are interested in getting involved in PearShaped Exeter, to write up reviews, to contribute a feature on your latest favourite album or even to advertise your own band, get in touch with Jack Reid: [email protected].