Zookie Takes Exeter Style by Storm

Tab Fashion meets up with Tom Shopland, third year Exeter student and founder of recently-launched creative fashion website Zookie.

| UPDATED creative Exeter fashion idea Style the tab the tab exeter Tom Shopland University of Exeter website Zookie

Zookie is one of the coolest and most creative clothing websites on the Exeter fashion spectrum. Specialising in unique brands, it offers something different from the same-old styles.

Having seen the site, we couldn’t resist catching up with Tom Shopland, creator and co-owner of Zookie, to chat about the company and all of its origins.

Tom Shopland. That’s just paint on his face – not a tattoo.

Tab Fashion (TF): So tell us, where did the inspiration for Zookie come from?

Tom Shopland (TS): “Zookie began this summer when me and my best friend wanted to start a clothing line. We actually wanted to call it ‘Haters Gna Gate’ (that still makes me laugh even now).

“However, the process of actually creating a brand seemed nearly impossible. But my research made me realise how many great independent brands exist that nobody knows about. Apart from ASOS market place, which is honestly terrible to sell a brand’s personality through the bland templates provided (and that’s even if someone finds their brand among the thousands on there) there’s very few places for these brands to sell.

“That’s what I wanted to change. We wanted to give customers a chance to experience the awesome brands out there.”

TF: What happened next?

“I then took the module ‘Could You Be An Entrepreneur?’ on my course and pitched a business idea, similar to Zookie, in a Dragons Den-esque piece of coursework.
Students loved it, but we got pretty shot down by the ‘Dragons’, which honestly put the fire in my heart to see the idea succeed.

“I called one of my best mates, Tom Hargrave, who gained a first in Computer Science at Bristol. The idea was firmly planted in my mind and no matter how difficult it was, I knew I was determined to succeed.

“We bought a load of whiteboard paper and scrawled down every idea that came into our heads. Our room looked like a crazy man’s den of doom, but I recommend it to anyone with an idea and a pen.

“We just threw ourselves at the project wholeheartedly and got in contact with anyone we knew that could give us feedback or advice. Zookie is only officially one week old and we’re rapidly gaining momentum, but this is very much just the beginning.”

TF: Any advice for budding entrepreneurs?

TS: “Just don’t be afraid to be different. Keep contacting new people, because the world isn’t as scary as it seems. You’ll be surprised at how many people out there are excited to see what our generation have to offer to the business world.”

4. What are your thoughts on Exeter fashion?

“Well, I could go down the obvious route of generic student style, but I’m not hating. It really doesn’t bother me but I do always appreciate when I see someone dressed with a unique sense of style.

“Whatever you’re into, you’ll find something on Zookie that I guarantee you won’t have seen before, from a brand that may just become your new favourite wardrobe filler.”

Zookie adds new brands every week, so make sure to follow them on Facebook (faceboook.com/zookieuk) and Twitter (@zookieuk).

For any new brands enquiries or recommendations, please email [email protected]

And, lastly, here’s Zookie’s Top Three Fashion Picks: