Sport at Exeter: just do it

EUMHC newcomer Jack Banister gives an insight into sporting life at University of Exeter.

AU EUMHC Jack Banister sport Sunday Mosaic the tab the tab exeter University of Exeter Sport

Having experienced the athletic side of student life straight off the bat, with three weeks of pre-season under my belt in Exeter before I even saw the blinding lights of Fresher’s Week, I have one piece of advice for those of you who have even the slightest interest in sport: get amongst it!

London Alumni Varsity vs. Durham – a quality debut game!

One of my teammates at home in Australia (yes, ladies, I do have a pet Kangaroo) once reflected that nothing in life was quite like the highs and lows of sport.

He wasn’t wrong – but he probably didn’t do sport justice, particularly if it’s sport done the Exeter way.

Whether you are an England representative playing in the first team, or a sixth team journeyman who plays for the love of the game, you have equal chance to win BUCS points to push us up the overall table.

I’ve had some wise teammates so far. This guy to my left, a Snapchat addict, isn’t one of them.

You have the chance to create memories that will last a lifetime, through winning and boozing with some absolutely ripping people.

You may end up in Mosaic on a random Sunday night singing songs from the 90s, while the locals wonder why on earth your milkshake brings all the boys to yard when you are, in fact, a grown man.

Gazza’s (centre) rendition of ‘Milkshake’ brought more that just boys to the yard at Sunday Mosaic

Or you may end up carrying 100 kilo teammates up the sand dunes of Exmouth beach while a mad man named ‘Beef’ motivates you with speeches better than Aragorn’s before the Black Gate of Mordor.

Or you may end up dropping three pints of cider into your gob consecutively while half the crowd at the Impy watches, simply because you’re a dud at FIFA.

You never know, you may even take selflies as cool this one.

You will undoubtedly stumble home from Timepiece as Wednesday night fades into Thursday morning, holding hands with a member of the opposite sex or, for those less fortunate, a good old TP burger.

And EUMHC, of course.

If you’re not already convinced, did I mention the stash?

Stash, stash, stash, stash – and more stash.

One thing is for certain: as a member of an University of Exeter sports club, you will be a part of something truly special, a part of a unique group of students, bound in camaraderie that will last well past the end of your final year.

You’ll do things you’ll never forget, and things you’ll never remember.

And at the end of it all, you’ll relive the glory days over a pint with old teammates, and think to yourself: ‘I’m really glad I decided to join that sports club during Fresher’s week…’