Too many raves over at St James

St James and St Davids are the noisiest student areas in Exeter

Recent studies from Express and Echo show that 1,602 noise complaints have been made to Exeter City Council since the beginning of 2012 – the majority of which were down to complaints about loud music.

And the best house parties are apparently at St James, which has received 123 party-related complaints in the past 19 months.

St James: Party Central

The most complained about neighbourhood overall is St Davids, which has many of Exeter’s pubs and clubs. With 227 complaints, 116 of these were complaints relating to music and 20 were due to ‘people noise’.

In spite of these high numbers, a mere ten noise abatement notices were actually issued throughout the city. This is likely to be due to the fact that most of these cases were resolved informally, without the need to take things higher.

Amongst grievances related to music and other loud noises, there were also four complaints of a mysterious low frequency sound across Exeter.

Students looking for a peaceful place to study may want to consider Duryard, where just 22 complaints were made.

“Those who complained must know that the road virtually lead to campus, so it’s their own fault for living there” said an anonymous source.