Cleaner Gropes Students: “It’s My Polish Upbringing”

Exeter University cleaner jailed for groping students blames actions on Polish upbringing

A university cleaner has been jailed for 21 months after groping students and blaming the offences on “older cultural values from rural Poland”.

Szczepan Majcherczyk

Szczepan Majcherczyk, 32, worked as a cleaner at Exeter University, and used his pass to gain access to the library on February 18th, where he stared at a female student from across a table for an hour as she worked.

He then asked her for sex, leaving a condom on the table when she went to report him.

Two days previously, Majcherczyk approached a first year on her way home and groped her through her leggings.

This incident came just hours after the man assaulted a woman at the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, asking her for a date and then groping her bottom when she refused.

Exeter Crown Court saw Majcherczyk plead guilty to a total of three sexual assaults and two offences of threatening behaviour. The judge told him: “If it was up to me I would deport you.”

“These offences were alarming and shocking and totally unexpected by the victims. You told the student in the University library in pretty blunt terms you wanted to have sex with her and offered her a condom.”

“The suggestion there may be a cultural background to these offences due to your upbringing in rural Poland is one I reject utterly.”