“Astonishing” – Little Women: The Musical Review

Matt McDonald takes a trip back to the Civil War for Footlights’ summer show.

It’s amazing what you can do with a bit of singing and an orchestra. Reed Hall’s sweltering ballroom was for three days this week transformed into the March residence in Concord, Massachusetts for Footlights’ summer production.

With the overwhelmingly female audience situated between the orchestra and the action, initial concerns about hearing the actors were understandable. However, these were quickly put to bed at lights down; the vocal power of the student cast all but drowned out the 12-piece band.

Little Women: The Musical’s Broadway run lasted only four months. Judging by this adaptation, this fact is mind-boggling. Leading lady Rebecca Reed’s Jo ruled the role with the same iron fist that Alcott’s character rules the novel; particular highlights being her wonderfully raw solo number “Astonishing” and the harmonies in her duet with Beth (Francesca Granger), “Some Things Are Meant To Be”.

The key feature of the Alcott novel is the dynamic between the four March sisters. This is executed to perfection. The defining moment in the show was undoubtedly the scene following (spoilers) Beth’s death. With the tension palpable in the room and tears in many audience members’ eyes, Claudia Campbell communicated the change in her character Amy in a way that tugged at the collective heartstrings of the room.

In what was a very small staging area, the choreography was enveloping. The ballroom number “I’d Be Delighted” in the first act proved to be the centrepiece, where Em Watkins’ attention to detail became most apparent.

There are almost too many eye-catching moments to single them all out; from Will Kelleher’s magnificently repressed Professor Bhaer, to Rosie Archer’s delivery as Aunt March. Even some disobedient bunting could not sway a highly professional cast.

Though the women may be little, the impact of this show was massive. In a word, sensational.