Student tells court she was raped at house party

Exeter student who “looked like a heroin overdose victim” tells courts she was raped at a pre-graduation party

An Exeter student was sexually assaulted after a party at the Athletic Union president’s house, a court heard.

The alleged attacker was Christopher Davis, a full time official at University of Wales, Trinity St David. He was in Exeter for a conference on university sport with student union sports officers from around the country.

Christopher Davis

The alleged victim had gone back to AU president Joe Batten’s house for a pre-graduation party after a night out.

She had been drinking for seven hours, having consumed almost half a bottle of vodka, Jagerbombs and Apple Sourz shots, and pints of cider and lager.

Guests at Batten’s house were playing a drinking game, gulping Archers and lemonade from a saucepan.

A jury at Exeter Crown Court heard how the woman passed out and had to be carried to bed by friends.

Davis, 33, said he asked the host if he could stay in the house and was shown into the same room as the woman.

He denies raping the woman, claiming he did not realise she was drunk and she had agreed to sex.

Davis said: “She turned to me and asked me if I wanted sex. I thought she looked nice. I had a fiancée and two children back home but I did not think about my family situation. She was enjoying herself and was a willing partner.”

However other students at the party interrupted him as he was having sex and claim he responded “So what?” when they told him she was unconscious.

The alleged victim said: “I had too much to drink and I can’t remember a thing. I woke up with just my shorts on and without my tights.

“I can remember drinking Archers and lemonade from a saucepan. I can remember getting into a bed [but] I was not capable of consenting to any sexual activity.”

A friend who had gone to check on the woman said: “When I went into the bedroom I saw her slumped forward with the man behind her with no trousers on.

“It was not like interrupting a normal couple because only the man reacted. She did not know I was there. She looked like that photo which was in the papers a few years ago of the girl who died of a heroin overdose.”

Prosecutor Mr Andrew MacFarlane said in cross-examination: “I suggest you saw a girl who was obviously incapacitated and drunk being taken into the room and you thought ‘that’s my chance’. You got into bed and proceeded to rape her while she was unconscious.

“You thought you would get away with it because she would never know and would never tell anyone because she was too drunk.”

The trial continues.