Grad, Mad, but students want to go

Grad Ball tickets are on sale, but final year students are up in arms over tickets, pricing and advertising

Messages are flooding the Students’ Guild’s Facebook page as students complain about a lack of advertising for Grad Ball tickets.

Students are also unhappy with the time of the ticket release and the pricing options for the Ball.

Anita Copley commented: “How are you going to guarantee that all people actually graduating will be secured a place at the graduation ball?” This was followed by a message from Sam Rix, stating that: “It would have been nice for you to release the tickets after the student loans came in, oh and not e-mailing us telling us about it, cheers for that.”

Others wrote about ticket prices: “To be stuck with only a £55 ticket option is a crime against humanity and bank balances… tut tut.” This was followed by a student saying that “It appears that all the cheapest tickets have already sold out.”

Students are now doing their own advertising for the Ball on various Facebook society pages.

The Guild responded to complaints on the Facebook page: “To the best of our knowledge, the release of the tickets was announced in the emails that the University sent out earlier today. We didn’t announce it as we only wanted finalists to be aware of the release through this email. This was to avoid the problem we had last year, where tickets were purchased by people who weren’t graduating.

“With regard to the tickets available, due to demand they are now in the process of being reallocated, so cheaper tickets will soon be available once again.”