Exeter Marches with Pride

Zebra onesies, Morris dancers and a 50 metre rainbow flag: Exeter celebrated Pride in style last week.

exeter pride LGBT

Hundreds attended the largest Pride festival Exeter has seen yet, which included a rainbow flag parade, events on campus and a series of mini lectures, all supported by local charities and businesses.

The opening parade, led by a Devon and Cornwall fire engine, made its way down the high street on Saturday 23rd . Students from Exeter University, police officers and LGBT members were part of the celebrations, which featured drumming, morris dancing and music.

Proud people on the high street

Events on campus included a range of performances in the Forum on Thursday 21st, with acts such as Semi-Toned, DanceSport Salsa and the World Music Choir taking part in the festivities (although there were some complaints about the noise!). Other activities included a series of mini-lectures on topics such as homophobia and hate crime, and charity and volunteering stalls.

Fantastically extravagant banner on campus

PCC Tony Hogg described the celebrations as “a tremendous celebration of diversity.”