Send Scratchworks to Scotland

Exeter has a new addition to the Drama scene – meet the Scratchwork Theatre Collective

drama edinburgh scratchworks

At Exeter we love a bit of drama and the good news is there is a new kid on campus – Scratchworks Theatre Collective.

Started by a group of ambitious third year drama students, Scratchworks was formed so that Exeter drama students could take a collection of work to this summer’s Edinburgh Fringe Festival (and celebrate the end of their degrees in the process). The Tab caught up with Alice, Scratchworks’s Co-Artistic director to hear what these guys are up to and how the rest of us can help them get to Scotland.

Unlike the other theatre groups on campus, Scratchworks is an entirely independent venture so relies on fundraising and support rather than Guild funds. Whereas EUTCo or Theatre with Teeth stay within the university and get passed down through the year groups to new committees, Scratchworks aim is to take the company out of Exeter to national (and potentially international) audiences.

The group plan on taking three shows to Edinburgh – Fox directed by Laura Doble, On Hold by Izzy Tennyson and The Summit by Alice Higginson and Sian Keen.

Scratchworks performing ‘Fox’

“Fox is a slapstick piece following Mr Christian Fox and a host of farcical friends as they are forced to flee from ‘The Hunters’. Think Charlie Chaplin meets children’s literature with a jazzy musical underscore.” Says Alice. “On Hold is a dark comedy set in an office block of a PR company and The Summit is a fusion of contemporary dance and writing which follows ‘The Athlete’ in the pursuit of the Olympic dream.”

Scratchworks have already begun fundraising and will continue to raise funds into term three. As well as starting a student cleaning business for all the filthy students with filthy kitchens, they have other plans up their sleeves next term including 24 hour relay where the Scratchworks team will keep a baton moving around campus for a full 24 hours and a cabaret for the more musically talented.

Scratchworks Theatre Collective will hopefully be showcasing all of their productions during Arts Week so go and check them out. For all the latest Scratchworks News visit them on Facebook or give them a follow on Twitter