Is grammar ruining our streets?

Local council sees apostrophe as public enemy number one and is systematically removing them from our streets

apostrophe council devon

Mid Devon District Council has vowed to delete all apostrophes from street signs in a bid to remove the “potential confusion”. 

Despite there only being three street names in the district with apostrophes in, the council has decided the issue is of utmost importance and the community must be spared from the havoc the reckless grammar has been wreaking.

Beck’s Square and Blundell’s Avenue, both in Tiverton, and St George’s Well in Cullompton, are the current targets even though they were named years ago… Because that’s not likely to cause more confusion to those who currently live there.

New streets had already undertaken the removal of apostrophes, however they have dramatically taken action and are making the policy official to purge the punctuation from all the offending street signs.

So a word of warning to the street signs of Exeter, if you are a grammar-sympathiser, y’all better watch your backs.