Out of this world: Driver believed he was chased by aliens

Aliens, singing and an ‘epic’ car chase – an Exeter local has a particularly bad day around the St Luke’s area

alien driving st lukes van

A van driver found himself in trouble with the police after causing earthly havoc while believing he was being chased by aliens.

Brett Webber played bumper cars with the police during a chase which reached the epic speed of 25mph. When stopped, he tried to excuse himself using the obvious mitigating circumstances of an impending alien invasion.

Webber, a 48-year-old carpet cleaner, was clearly far more scared of the creatures he thought were pursuing him than the police. When they tried to pull him over for dangerous driving, he responded in the sort of way most of us only dream of: by denting the police car and driving off.

An artist’s impression of the incident

Webber then started sounding his horn and chanting ‘Do Ray Me’ in an effort to ward off the pursuing creatures, obviously having reason to suspect aliens of not liking the Von Trapps. He then quite impressively managed to drive on for more than a mile on tyres that the police had already deflated, before crashing into a wall at Rydon Lane.

Webber was told at Exeter Crown Court that he is only considered a danger to the public when behind the wheel; although concerns were raised over the threat he poses to the police, as he apparently treats them with great suspicion.

Webber was banned from driving for four years and told to seek help for paranoid schizophrenia. He will have to take an extended driving test and convince the DVLA that he is mentally stable to get back on the road.

Of course, mental health problems are no laughing matter. This week is Mental Health Week on campus. Follow this link for more info.