Love Our Locals

Jaz Sansoye on why it’s time to bridge the local-student divide.

Locals have a bad reputation and they’re often antagonised by us uni-dwellers. However, speaking from personal experience, this shunning is perhaps unfair.

Traditionally, Exeter students and locals don’t mix well if they should ever be unfortunate enough to encounter one another on a night out. Exeter students have a stereotype of being refined toffs, whilst the locals are common lager louts. It’s only natural that clashes
occur, right?

But, despite these generalisations, I believe that these stereotypes are being disproved before our eyes.

I have gone on many nights out which are notoriously full of locals (Thursday Timepiece, Friday and Saturday Rococo’s).

Expecting to be met with mocking animosity, I have found myself in the opposite position entirely. The locals have embraced me and not even turned sinister when I stated I was a student originally from the outskirts of London.

They’ve doted on me, buying round after round. Their openness and welcoming spirit is rather refreshing and something that isn’t necessarily common amongst students, who, despite being considered richer than their local counterparts, aren’t forthcoming with offers of splitting the drinks’ bill.

Whilst students are incredible people whom I truly feel at ease with, the locals genuinely surprised me with their lack of hostility and rather generous and embracing approach.

Some of the best nights I’ve had have been on a locals’ night, despite student nights being hyped-up as the place to be. I’d happily take Saturday at Rococos over The Lemmy.

There are some barriers when interacting with locals, but nothing that cannot be overcome. Those that truly do retreat upon discovering you’re a student aren’t worth knowing but, despite the stereotype, they are the small minority.

The majority of locals are just happy to have a good time and, if you want to join in, that’s fine. Just don’t shove your privileged ways in their faces, or you might get punched in yours.

I am not slamming students; far from it. I love students because we’re a diverse bunch from all around the country and the world. The university, desire to study further, similar interests and ages bring us all together, and we are a community in our own right.

However, it seems to me that we should drop our prejudice towards the locals because, most of the time, they’re willing to afford us the same courtesy. The uni is constantly haranguing us about embracing diversity and promoting equality…so why can’t we love the locals too?