The Tab Meets…Danny Howard

Danny Howard on SSB: “Count me in next year!”

Danny Howard, host of Radio 1’s Dance Anthems and winner of the 2011 Superstar DJ competition, returns to play in the Lemmy for RAG on March 12th. I was able to nab a chat with Danny, talking sexy house, Entourage and being a workaholic.

Anna: We’re looking forward to having you back down in Exeter, Danny! What have you been up to so far this year?

Danny: Thanks, I’m looking forward to coming back too! It’s been a busy year so far and hopefully a sign of things to come for the rest of 2013. I’ve had my first release out with Spinnin Records since signing with them exclusively, a track called ‘Apex’. I’ve also had remixes of Bingo Players – Get Up & Example – Perfect Replacement released plus my new remix of Duke Dumont – Need U (100%) is out at the end of March.

The biggest thing so far is definitely the release of my first compilation album, Ministry Of Sound Clubbers Guide 2013! I’m so happy with the response to this as it got to #1 on the iTunes Dance Chart! I guess this year has so far has been all about my productions as well as doing my Radio 1 show every Saturday which I love so much.

Anna: After winning the Radio 1 ‘Superstar DJ’ competition you shot to fame back in 2011, and now things must be pretty crazy for you. What are you big plans for the summer?

Danny: Yeah my whole life just went crazy since winning that amazing competition! I always think about how surreal that all felt and it still does now. Obviously it led on to me becoming a permanent fixture at Radio 1 which has also led on to me being lucky enough to play at some incredible venues and parties. This summer is all about that! I’ve got some unbelievable stuff to look forward to which I can’t say too much about just yet but it all starts next week when I fly out to Miami to play a couple of gigs as part of the annual Miami Music Week…I’m so excited for that.

Anna: We’re loving your March 2013 podcast. What are your future career plans? Do you want to try and narrow you focus to one or two things, like making more tracks, or try and keep work varied?

Danny: I always open to trying new things and keeping an open mind when it comes to taking on new projects but at the same time, it’s important to know what you want your end goal to be and what you need to do to achieve that. This year for me is all about continuing to grow the profile of my Radio 1 show and spend as much time in the studio as possible to work on my productions. Glad you’re loving the podcast by the way!

Anna: Apart from doing something you love for a living, has there been any unexpected ‘perks of the job’?

Danny: I suppose when you’re apart of a huge organisation such as the BBC and Radio 1, you get many perks such as meeting some of your idols and having the privilege of being one of the first people to hear new music coming through; but as you just said, the main perk is being able to do a job at a level that you can only usually ever dream about. I know more than anyone how lucky I am so I’m 100% committed to work hard and ensure that I do the best I can at making the most of this incredible opportunity.

Anna: When you’re not busy being a superstar DJ, how do you like to kick-back and relax?

Danny: I generally don’t! ha! I just work and work when ever I can. I like to go to the gym and play football but I guess I have a slight obsession with work. I sit down to watch TV and after half an hour I feel like Im wasting my time and should be doing something more productive! It’s not for everyone but I think it reflects how much I actually love my job!

Anna: What can we be expecting from your set tomorrow?

Danny: I love playing student parties because you can get away with playing a more varied set in terms of genres and that exactly what I intend to do! I think by doing that it makes it more exciting and keeps it fresh. I’ll be playing all the big dance tunes of the moment across the genres of progressive, electro, house but will also drop in a bit of bass, trap, dubstep, DnB and anything that constitutes a bit of a curveball in my set! It’s basically gonna go off!!

Anna: Last time you were in Exeter in December, you played at the notorious charity fundraiser the Safer Sex Ball (SSB), and tweeted after saying you had a top night. You also describe your style as ‘sexy house’ making you perhaps the perfect SSB DJ. What did you think of the whole thing? Was it what you expected?

Danny: Haha yeah maybe but the whole ‘Sexy House’ thing is just because I can’t really describe my sound as one genre so I just made that up! The actual event was amazing and like nothing I’ve ever played at before. I’m sure that’s the response you get from many DJs that play SSB but apart from the obvious nakedness, the whole atmosphere and good vibe that everyones on really made it a great party to play! I don’t know how you did it but to make however many thousands of people turn up in the middle of winter in their underwear was unbelievable… count me in next year!!

Anna: When you were a student, who were you listening to?

Danny: A 40 year old guy called ‘DJ Tino’ in our Student Union playing the best mix of S Club 7 & Five. I think that’s part of the reason I taught myself to DJ at uni, just so I could get on the decks and get something decent coming through the SU speakers!

But seriously, I liked to listen to loads of different DJs representing different genres because it gave me a real insight into the varied sounds and cultures that came with each style. I always used to listen to Pete Tong on Radio 1 too. He’s someone I always aspire to emulate one day.

Anna: If you could have dinner with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?

Danny: Ari Gold from Entourage! I love that programme and love his character…the guys a legend! LLOYD!!!!

Anna: One last thing….what message of inspiration do you have to everyone graduating this year into the big wide world?

Danny: I’m not the best at inspirational messages but I would just say whatever it is you do, aim higher! Nothing is impossible to aim for – take every single opportunity you can to help you reach your goals…no matter how big or small.

Danny Howard plays the Lemon Grove tomorrow. Buy your tickets here. For upcoming dates, see Danny’s official site.