Police To Save Students From The Dark?

Student campaign to keep our street lights switched on is being backed by police.

We thought we’d have to walk home in the dark, but one man is determined to keep our streets illuminated.

When the council announced plans to turn off street lights between 12:30-5:30am – the peak times to walk home after a night out – the Guild launched a campaign to keep them on.

And finally someone’s listened.

Lighting champion: Tony Hogg

Tony Hogg, the new Devon and Cornwall police and crime commissioner, has spoken in support of the Guild’s Save our Streetlights campaign.

“I think we should listen to the young people in a very big way,” said Hogg. “A solution needs to be found that [students] are happy with.

“I can help by relating the issue back to the police plan and I hope [that] will carry some weight in the argument.”

Our streets could remain lit

The scheme, which was proposed by Devon County Council, would cost £1.7million to implement and save 1,600 tonnes of carbon emissions a year – to the detriment of student safety.

The lighting champion added: “I have already pledged to offer that backing to the students and in giving those issues an airing.

“If the students are fearful, we – as a community – should be concerned about that and look at what is the best solution.”

The man has spoken, and things are looking (lit) up.