Wolfgangnam Style: Amadeus Review

The Tab reviews EUTCo’s production of Amadeus.

The Exeter University Theatre Company’s annual Northcott production is always a big date in the student theatre calendar, and this year is no exception. The EUTCo production of Peter Schaffer’s Amadeus had big shoes to fill after last year’s success, The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui. The pressure to deliver a show-stopper was absolutely on after last week’s glorious Copocabana from Footlights.

The piece follows court composer Salieri as he tries to reconcile the genius and depravity he observes in the golden child of Vienna, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

The casting was spot-on from the minor to the major characters, and each actor took to their part effortlessly. George Watkins (Salieri) held the play together with epic soliloquies, delivered with tremendous presence and intensity. Both Ryan Whittle (Mozart) and Felicity Gardiner Cant (Constanze) were always enticing in both their comic scenes (there is quite a bit of rolling about on the floor) and emotionally charged ones.

The beautiful meta-theatrical style that the director Josh Lucas used in this production, highlighted the themes of the play (which can be neatly summed up as sex, god and music) –  the opera scenes are particularly special.

Moreover, the live renditions of a selection of Mozart’s compositions is an ambitious feat for any orchestra but fortunately for the audience, they pulled it off.  A surprise entrance from Choral Society (30 members!) with their booming, heartfelt rendition of Mozart’s requiem was a masterful addition to the production.

Although the staging was modern, a black back drop with minimal props, our visual senses were indulged by the excellent 18th century hair and costume.

Amadeus is on tonight and Saturday at 7.30pm. Tickets are still available from the Northcott box office.