The Tab backs Bella Berngart to win

Plucky first year Bella Berngart isn’t put off by not seeming to know much about what being Guild President is about or what she’ll do next year if she wins. She likes wiggling her bum and needs your vote!

Bella Berngart elections Guild sab

The first year running for Guild President has stolen our hearts and …. well, read on for one of the most refreshing Guild interviews you’ll ever read.

Why are you running?

I’m running because I want to give more representation to people in smaller societies because unfortunately, I don’t know many smaller societies, I don’t even know the president!

So do you feel like Nick Davies hasn’t really done much during his time as president?

I read his manifesto and he mentioned something about rent freeze. He’s done a lot of paperwork and everything, but in terms of representation, yeah I guess. He’s done a really great job. I thought it was impossible to stop the rise in housing prices. But during freshers’ week there was a lot of mess with the societies: they were changing rooms and they didn’t give any information to people.

So what would be your main focus? How would you go about changing things if you were elected?

Maybe some alternate socials for the small societies which can’t integrate.

Do you not feel like the societies should organise that themselves then?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It was funny, there was kind of a battle going between Sci-fi Society and the Doctor Who Society, but Sci-fi Society said ‘no, Doctor Who IS sci-fi’, and Doctor Who society said ‘no, we want to exist seperately!’ It’s kind of funny but I really don’t think presidents should just control all of the stuff, no. There should perhaps be more opportunity for everyone to be heard, not only the big societies. Other societies are really great too. I’d quite like more collaboration between the societies and for them to be more open.

So you don’t really have a big plan of action, you’re just going to see how it goes?

Yes because I don’t really know what I can do. I’m just going to feel my way.

I read your manifesto and you said that you ‘will not give promises.’ Surely that means that people don’t really have an incentive to vote for you?

Well I’m definitely going to do something, but I can’t give promises when I don’t know what I can do. Maybe I will be able to give more representation and organise more socials for more integration of societies.

On the VoteFest blog, you said that you had ‘Schrödinger plans’. In which ways are you similar to Schrödinger?

I have a plan, and I am going to do this and that, but I don’t know in which particular way. I don’t know what are my options. So I don’t have a plan, and yes, I do have a plan. I won’t do anything very different to my manifesto now, I will only concentrate on the components that I have given. I don’t know the extent of power that I have, I’m only a student.

You’re a first year, aren’t you? What are you going to do about your course, if you do get elected?

Well, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Are you not worried that the job will take up a lot of your time?

Not really no. I can manage my time. I don’t know how much sleep I will get… but I can manage my time.

You also said on Votefest that you like ‘metal with deep moving bass’. How do you dance to that?

I don’t know. I might wiggle my bum a bit.

Would you utilise such movements in your election campaign?

Err… I don’t think that would really help. My friends told me to take all my clothes off because everyone loves naked women but I’m not sure that would help either.

It might, you never know. Are there any other special skills or party tricks that you have?

What do you mean? I vote Green. Oh, you didn’t mean that kind of party. [laughs] But that makes me special because only like 5% of the country vote Green.