Short and Sweet: The Guild Candidates

Had enough of reading reams of manifesto and candidate material? Grab a 30 second shot of every Sab who’s been begging for your vote.

Running for Guild President…

Bella Berngart: “I’ll be there for you”

Bella’s interview was SO good we had to give you the whole thing. She is definitely The Tab’s favourite candidate.

Hugh Blackstaffe: “Hugh for You” 

Why are you running for Guild President?

Well, I think I can offer students exactly what they’re looking for. My two main priorities are for students to enjoy their time here whilst improving job prospects.

How would you rate your looks on a scale of 1-10?

Aah, that’s a difficult one…I’m going to go for a solid 6.5, to account for bad hair days – I just watched my campaign video and I look like I’ve just come out of the gym!

Stuart Still: “Stu’s got a friend in me”

Why do you see building a relationship with the media as important?

The university has swung from one end of the media limelight to the other over this past year. The media has a large impact on the reputation of the university and such relationships must be made better so that Exeter graduates can remain proud of this fantastic institution, and that prospective undergraduates continue to be attracted here.

Kathryn Jarvis: “Right Here. Right Now”

What sets you apart from the other candidates running for President?

I’m a candidate who wants to ensure that the students who are paying £9000 for their education are getting what they deserve from the university. I would listen to the students, and would be their representative.

Tell us something fun that we don’t already know about you?

Clearly anything in writing could be harmful to a future career in law! Come find me on a night out and I will let you know!! (Cheeky!)

Nic Craig: “Click Nic”

What’s the main focus of your campaign?

To make people’s lives a bit simpler; printing from laptop straight to printers on campus, being able to book computers in, getting all lecture recorded on to mp3 to cover hangovers or if they’ve had to go home for some reason.

Apparently you don’t like chart music. Are you a music snob?

Not really, I can get as much fun from a Timepiece Wednesday as from an Exit Tuesday, with completely different crowds of people and completely different types of music.

Hannah Barton: “#VoteHB”

Why are you running?

I’m proud to be a part of the Guild and I’m passionate about what they do.

Running for AU President….

Laurie Potter: “Make the magic happen” 

Who do you see as your main competition?

They’re all great competition. Alex Powell seems to know a lot of people so she’s going to be tough to beat. I’m just gonna focus really on my own campaign, do the best that I can and see what happens.

We hear you’re a keen golfer. Does this mean you like it in the rough?

Oh, good question. No, I usually try and keep it on the short stuff – it makes it a little easier!

Brendan Gilson: “#TeamBG”

What sets you apart from the other AU Candidates?

I’m president of the tennis club which is the second largest sports club on campus and the second biggest contributor of BUCS points. So as someone who’s been at the top of both success rankings and participation rankings, that really sets me apart from the other candidates.

As a Lukie, if you win, are we gonna get a celebratory naked quad around the Lemmy?

You will get a naked quad, you’ll get a naked Streatham. You’ll get a naked Exeter I think! (Claim.)

James Gibson: “T.E.A.M”

Why are you running?

I’m from a small AU club and a 4th year and I’m sick of shallow promises from big clubs. It has been a big year for smaller clubs because of the Olympics. Everyone should be working together to help each other, we need to take the bigger club’s expertise and mentor smaller clubs. People work so hard, it’s just a shame they don’t have a big enough voice.

How much can you bench?

The last time I benched about 90kg but I see no stock in weights or protein shakes, you get more from cardio and toning. I’ve never understood protein shakes and supplements, I’m not a fitness fascist but just eating healthily is the way to do it!

Alex Powell: “#ontheprowl”

What sets you apart from the other candidates running for your position?

I am the only candidate which has been on the AU executive committee this year,
earning me valuable in-depth knowledge into how the AU operates and greater understanding of the general running and finances. Having also been part of both a large (Ladies hockey club) and small club (windsurfing) hopefully I can relate to all clubs regardless of their size.

You are telling everyone to prowl with Powell, but what is your top pulling tip when you are on the prowl?

Dance, Dance and have a dance off. (Alex later admitted to me she is feeling a bit worse for wear after getting her boom boom Powell on at Arena last night…wonder how she got on?)

David Rogal: “This D Ain’t silent”

Describe your Manifesto.

Not to slag the other candidates off or anything, but it’s essentially more realistic. Many candidates want to do stuff that they actually have no control over, like build an Olympic sized swimming pool on Streatham. I want a better Alumni scheme, bringing in promotion for smaller clubs in order to generate the funds and I want to make sure that the bigger clubs that are getting the money deserve it.

Apparently, unlike Django this D ain’t silent. In what way are you as cool as Django?

I have no doubt that I am no way near as cool as Django- he is mesmerisingly badass. I will be a mesmerisingly badass AU President though.

Running for Academic

Daryl Hurst: “tHurst for Change”  

Why should anyone vote for you?
Because the policies I have come up with are attainable within a year!

Tell us something fun that we don’t already know about you ?
I used to have ridiculously blonde hair and on average, every night, I would get mistaken for Draco Malfoy about 3 times. I apparently look so much like the little wizard that I even managed to snag a kiss from someone at the Fresher’s Ball in my first year when I told a little lie and said that I was his younger brother! (They thought my name was genuinely Daryl Malfoy).

Alex Louch: “Louching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” 

What is the biggest change you’ll make if you can get the position?

Making the Exeter experience a lot more personal, such as increased levels of feedback.   I want to make things a lot more equal and fair as well: challenging hidden course costs, ending library fines long term, instead of just talking about it.

With the manifesto point to increase study space, do you think it might also be beneficial to increase sleeping areas?

Yeah, maybe. It’s great that we’ve got a 24 hour library, it sets us apart from other universities, but it would be great for those all nighters.

Alex Phillips: “Fight for what you believe is right”

What is your main manifesto point?

Bringing MACE feedback earlier in the term so it has a direct effect on your course and your year. Also, I want to make sure that opportunities week is available to all courses and all years so everyone has a break to do all of the career commitments in that week

Do you think it’s a bit ironic to have a blonde girl campaigning for education?

No not at all, I think everyone needs to be represented irrelevant of hair colour.

Louis Tsiattalou

Why should people vote for you?

I’m building on what’s already there, rather than pushing for just new things.

You sure you don’t want to do it? *winks* OK well I’m definitely 11 out of 10!” *does jazz hands*

Running for Welfare:

Sam Sayce: “Sayce for Welfare”

Could you start by summing up your manifesto?

To increase student safety and set up a TripAdvisor style website for housing to stop us students getting mugged off by landlords. Also, I will provide bi-weekly drop in sessions where I can offer one to one support and point people in the right direction if they are struggling.

So you really are a super-hero then, as your campaign get-up might suggest?

I try to be a superhero. I genuinely want to help people- it’s just in my nature. At SSB in first year I tried to help a girl who was sitting on her own and she was sick all over me!

Chris Rootkin: “Root for rootkin”

What do you see as the root of your manifesto?

The root of my manifesto is student safety, especially the Save Our Streetlights campaign. Also, I want to publicise the support services available on campus. Another big point on my manifesto is to use the senseexeter.com website set up by Grace Hopper this year. It has lots of information about support services, student safety and also what opportunities there are in the wider community, not just on campus.

Why should Tab readers root for you?

I know everyone hasn’t had as great a time as I have here, and I’m keen to ensure the student welfare experience is the best it can be, for all types of students. I’ve run the student nightlight, Voice, this year and I know what great support it can provide. I’ve also humiliated myself in the Mr Potato Head costume all week, so your votes would be appreciated!

Ledys Sanjuan was “too busy” to be interviewed by The Tab, so we were too busy to provide any helpful information about her.

Running for Participation:

Emma Ollis:  “Let’s go with Emma O”

Every year the PAC candidates say they’re going to reinvent St Luke’s. Do you really think you can do it?

It’s really difficult because it’s just getting worse, isn’t it? I want to create events that will encourage Streatham students to go there. I will do all that I can. I’ll speak to Lukies and see what they think can be done. It’s a really difficult one, and it says something that as you say, everyone says that they’ll do it but…I think it is possible.

Jak Curtis-Rendall: “#Jak4Pac” 

What are your main manifesto points?

To make the Ram a hub for sports and I want it to have a better menu, with breakfasts and desserts. I want to improve the use of space in the Forum and in Cornwall house for music performance and practise areas.

Talk to me about your ‘Lukie Love’. Your manifesto seems very concerned with our far-away friends?

Now that there are no catered halls at Luke’s, I feel like it has lost its buzz which it really needed considering it’s so far away from Streatham. Yes, there is a rivalry and it is traditional especially at Luke’s, but I feel like the gap in experience between students at the two campuses is growing and this is tending to be more negative now for the Lukies.

Abbe Cooper: “Cooper 4 Pac”

What’s the one thing you most want to change?

Bring back cash in hand at activities fair and make it a more friendly process, which would make society memberships sky rocket.

Being on the RAG committee and working in the guild bars it’s only right I ask what do you think of the blow job video?

I think people need to remember what the SSB is actually for. The reputation of the Guild is still high, it’s just that media thrives on the negatives. The awareness and money that it raises is incredible. The team behind it all work so hard.

Interviews by: Celia Richardson, Jessica Newton, Charlotte Haynes, Helena Gerrelli, Imi Groome, Sophie Hay, Bella Jolly and Sanya Burgess.

Now watch TabTV’s cutting yet stunningly frivolous video with the candidates.