Thieves, on ya bike!

Cycling students beware! Exeter Police are warning students to be extra vigilant following a recent spate of bike thefts with losses totalling £600,000.

| UPDATED Bike theft Bikes stolen

165 bikes have been reported stolen since September last year, with many more thefts going unreported according to Sgt Morris Elphick of Exeter Police.

Many of the bikes have been stolen from the Polsloe area of the city, an area popular with students, and from the city centre. After the bikes have been taken it is suspected that they are being sold on Ebay or being broken up and sold as parts.

Don’t lose it, lock it

With more than 500 students choosing to cycle to campus everyday , the uni bike racks are a lucrative location  for thieves – but what can you do to keep your bike safe?

•Lock it – This seems like common sense, but Sgt. Elphick notes that only 10% of the bikes stolen were locked and recommends that 10% of the cycle budget should be spent on a lock.
•Mark it – Mark your bike with an ultraviolet pen or chip so it can be identified if it is found.
•Move it – Move your bike inside rather than leaving it in the street (common sense, no?)

Student Community Liaison Manager Rory Cunningham would like to remind students that “we are currently running an initiative for students living off campus in private accommodation – If they make an appointment for a student warden to visit and ‘security mark’ their valuables with a UV mark-up kit, they receive a free ‘D-lock’ for their bike.”

For more information e-mail [email protected]