Single accommodation shunned by students

Student’s lack of interest in single accommodation provides local residents with a place to live.

| UPDATED council houses housing single accommodation

Single accommodation is proving unpopular with not-so-fresh students, as a surplus of purpose-built student accommodation in Exeter has led to 96 rooms being offered to the Council for lease.

The rooms in Bonhay House and King Edward Court Studios are going to be offered to local residents rather than postgraduate and exchange students.

Bonhay House… who even knew it existed?

At a time when many returning students are still scrabbling to find housing for next year, it looks like the excess of single-occupancy student rooms is benefitting Exeter’s locals, but not really helping the student housing market.

As fun as halls are, nobody wants to spend second or third year holed up in a studio and so the hunt for houses continues.

Local private landlady Sue Francis said she saw many of her own properties snapped up quicker than ever this year. However, most of the lack of housing hype is unfounded – have a look down any student road in Exeter and most of them are still full of ‘To Let’ signs. And if not, it looks like there’s always a room in Bonhay House.