More than Kosher

Popular 250 year old Jewish icon is to be given a heavy duty face lift.

| UPDATED Synagogue

Exeter Synagogue has begun a £50,000 restoration project, which is fair enough after 250 years.

The synagogue, which is the third oldest in Britain, was damaged during the Second World War bombing, and also suffers from damp and other problems caused by previous renovations.

It is used regularly for services, which are attended by a congregation of around 120 people from all over Devon.

The restoration project has been welcomed by Exeter University’s Jewish Society. Olivia Luder, Jewish Society Campaigns Officer, said ‘The synagogue and the community surrounding it have been around for over 250 years and the restoration project will help it continue to grow. The Jewish Society are involved in the synagogue community and support the restoration project; we hope to be able to help directly but have no set plans right now.’

Synagogue Vice President Renee Smithens said: “We’re a small congregation of about 120 members, spread across a wide geographic area, so reaching our target will be an enormous challenge for us.”

The congregation of Exeter’s Synagogue play an important role in the local community, and voluntarily provide religious services, social activities and cultural events for Jewish people.