Get the best pecs for your pennies

Looking to lose some pounds but not lose some £’s? Caitlin Synott scouts out the best deals around Exeter

| UPDATED Exeter gym sport

Christmas and New Year now seem to be a distant memory, but for some of us, a mere glimpse of our naked selves in the mirror reminds us of all the turkey, stuffing and mince pies we chowed down on.

Every time some skinny gym bunny sashays past you in the Forum in her perfect Lycra leggings, a little bit of body confidence inside you dies.

This is where I step in, to help you find out which gym gives you the best deal for your work outs – what’s the point in all that sweat and red faces getting ripped on the running machines if you’re getting ripped off? 

Sweat and Stretch

Supposedly the ‘cheapest and friendliest gym in town’. Although quite small, and not the most modern looking, their slogan to emphasize the friendly nature is: ‘We CARE about your body!’ Either very sweet, or a little on the perverted side, nonetheless this gym will only cost you a mere £20 a month, or £220 for 9 months. Money saving perk, if you get four other friends to join up with you the cost is even CHEAPER than £20 a month!

The classes range from ‘Fab Abs to ‘Retrorobics’ and are absolutely are free (apart from powerplate sessions). To add to the friendly fitness fun, they put on themed classes! I was told that apparently the Hallowe’en themed Zumba class last year was quite a ‘laugh and a half’.

Pilates, Zumba, Fab Abs…

For those who like the dance away the calories whilst feeling ghetto fabulous, there are street dance classes, and for the more daring and sexual of you, pole dancing classes are also on offer if you want to impress the boyfriend or any guy you meet on a night out.

Overall verdict? Cheap, cheerful, good location and no need to worry about being greeted by tight thighs or men with biceps bigger than their heads.

http://www.sweatandstretch.co.uk/

Clifton Hill Sports Centre and The Pyramids

Despite lacking the friendly nature Sweat & Stretch promotes, these gyms are perfect for

Pyramids – a ‘tropical paradise’?

anyone living further away from the University. Although the exterior of The Pyramids seems to promise you tropical fun indoors, unless if your idea of tropical paradise is little brats running riot in their mini swimming goggles, you’ll be disappointed

If you want a peaceful swim after your hard earned work out, try and avoid the ‘Public Swim’ sessions. You’ll also be pleasantly surprised by the number of hotties parading around the pool. Maybe you can use them as motivation for those extra 10 laps?

If ‘Jaws’ put you off getting into any type of water then Clifton Hill Sports Centre’s gym offers the most wide range of classes. Plus, if you’re searching for a ‘cougar’ to impress the boys, then maybe get yourself booked into the ‘Fit n Fifty +’ class.On the money front, for a month you’ll be paying a respectable £29.95, but if you’re thinking of joining any of the Expression Fitness gyms, DO IT BEFORE 15th February to avoid the £20 joining fee! The lady behind the desk at The Pyramids was VERY insistent on this, so save your money and join sooner than later.

Verdict? Great for nearly every student house location, loads of classes to choose from, and a chance to do some body watching at the pool or meeting a sweaty guy or girl in the sauna. 

University Sport Centre  

Now its time for Exeter’s very own… ‘RIP OFF’ gym (unless you live on campus). For starters, if you have the cash to splash, then the Platinum membership will set you back a hefty £187, which includes your gym access and all classes are free (although the range of classes is HUGELY limited in comparison to Sweat & Stretch and Clifton Hill).

Not too keen on the classes but still want the option to go? You’re looking at the Gold membership for the not so delightful cost of £150 – this membership is still more expensive than the two previous gyms, and you still have to pay discounted prices to attend the classes.

Last but not least, there is a standard membership. It’s a more affordable £27 but then you have to pay every time you use the gym.

While this is most useful for the type of people who have periods of ‘I’m going to go to the gym every week!’ and then fail to do so for the rest of term, it is still seemingly expensive.

Verdict? Just as ‘modern’ as the Sweat & Stretch gym, overpriced, limited classes and huge risk of bumping into that one night stand whilst you’ve got sweat dripping down your beetroot red face.

Nike Running Club

Not got the cash to splash? Fear not, as the Nike Running club can come to your rescue. Ever seen at around 7pm or so a group of yellow-bibbed runners pounding the streets of Exeter? Yep, that’s the Nike running club, free of charge, free yellow bib AND free water, what more could you want for money free exercise? And who knows, you might even meet a fit girl or hot guy whilst you’re at it, so well worth trying it out.

The club runs every Monday and Tuesday, meet outside the shop at 6:15pm for a 6:30 start, and choose whether you’re up for either a 5, 7 or if you’re feeling ambitious, a 10K run.

Verdict? Sociable, cheap and safe.

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/storefinder.cfm?shop_ID=44

Its time to get those trainers out of the closet and get moving, because don’t you want everyone to be jealous of your ripped abs or tight thighs and washboard stomach BEFORE Spring has even begun? Get rid of that food baby, brace the cold and the sweat, and as Nike’s slogan says: JUST DO IT.