Fruuuuuni, No Parents

If you’re a maths student who wants to know more about Shakespeare, or a biology student who wonders who discovered the Americas, the Fruni lecture series is for you.

fruni Matt hayler

The best of Exeter University’s teaching talent, as voted for by Exeter’s students, will be giving inspirational lectures for free, for you, for the win.

Hundreds of you voted for who you wanted to see give a “free-range” lecture which aims to give access to a wider range of knowledge with no limits of invidiaul courses. Topics range from twitter and dubstep, to Legal heroes and practising villains.

The initiative, labelled the “Fruni” series, allows the top five researchers to present their work in a series of Monday evening lectures, running from 21st January to 18th February in the Alumni Auditorium. The lecturers were chosen by students during a vote last term, allowing them to have their say in deciding which research everyone should know about.

The Tab caught up with one of the speakers, Matt Hayler, who said: “I’m really honoured to be a part of the inaugural Fruni lecture series. The talks are a great chance for students and staff to get involved in the same discussions, enabling everyone to get a better sense of the diversity of research at Exeter. I’d like to say a big thank you to everyone that voted; lecturing for students and chatting about those issues afterwards is the most rewarding part of my job.”

The talks are set to open your eyes and blow your mind, for example Matt Hayler’s talk will explore digital technology: “Twitter; skateboarding videos; dancing to dubstep; the unexpected effects of online pornography; the great work done by my digital and cyberculture studies students; ADHD in Los Angeles; and shooting microscopic insects into space. I guess overall I’m trying to ask whether, in the age of the internet, there’s room, or there should be made room, for scholars who think like the internet thinks.”

The events will be free, and there is no need to book. There will be a drinks reception and an opportunity for questions afterwards.