Her Name Was Lola: Copacabana Review

Fashion ed Immy Taylor reviews Footlights’ latest production.

On the whole, I confess, I have never been a fan of musicals. But last night changed my mind entirely.

Exeter Footlights’ production of Barry Manilow’s ‘Copacabana’ at the Northcott Theatre was sensational. The production is slick, fun, and takes you on the most entertaining ride from New York to Havana that you can imagine.

Jess Phillips and Cam Jones are fantastic as the two lead performers, utterly brilliant in their respective roles. The rest of the cast are equally great – a special mention has to go to Hannah Dunn for her performance as the simultaneously hilarious and tragic Conchita.

The dancers and choreography are subtle enough not to distract from the main performers whilst at the same time adding a huge amount to the production.

The audience reaction was overwhelming, with a huge standing ovation at the end. It wasn’t only the sell-out audience that appreciated the production, though, as the Mayor promised to come again before Saturday and Nick Davies, the president of the Guild commented that it was an ‘absolutely amazing show! Blew the audience away!’

In short Copa is too good to miss. The box office has a few tickets left so if you want to see a really classy production that will leave you with a huge smile on your face go and book tickets immediately.